Monday, October 20, 2014

Lampworking Workshop

This Sunday I taught a lampworking workshop to five students at the home of Bhakail's A&S Minister. This was the first time that I had formally taught a group of people. All of my previous instruction had been one-on-one.  It was a wonderful experience and I learned a lot. A few things of note include:

-More materials to purchase: marvers and plyers for each participant
-Buy little bags for people to take their beads home in.
-Allow much more time for clean up and cool down than I had thought!
-I also got some very positive feedback about the order of my instruction. I had people practice pulling stringers before making beads, and doing this activity seemed to make the process of making their first bead much easier, and a little less scary, for attendees.
-Finally, over the last year or so of teaching, it has been interesting to see how people approach learning lampworking differently. Some people are very precise when they try to make beads, and these individuals usually try to mimic what I am showing them as closely as they can. Others get creative and immediately try new things. While I tend to be one of the former people when I am learning, I think its important to create a space where people can learn and play in the way that works best for them.

Demonstration & Instruction




A few beads made by workshop attendees.